Earth Hour: March 23rd, 2013
Easton's MassSave outreach program partnership with Next Step Living has begun! Click here to learn about no-cost home energy assessments!
The Town of Easton awarded Leading by Example 2011
Ames Free Library meter loan program - sponsored by the Green Communities Committee of Easton.
50 KW Solar Photovoltaic array at the Easton Water Division Property installed in 2010.
Easton's Green Communities Committee was appointed in 2009. For more information contact Adrienne Edwards.
Participating in State programs including the Department of Energy Resources Energy Audit Program and Green Communities Grant Program as well as the Massachusetts Energy Management Pilot.
Easton received the EPA's Environmental Merit Award on Earth Day 2009!
Easton's Green Communities Act Task Force was appointed by the Town Administrator in 2008 to:
- Become experts on the Green Communities Act
- Assess opportunities for grants and loans to "advance energy efficiency"
- Assess the opportunity to reduce energy consumption
- Make contact with the Division of Green Communities
- Assess the opportunity to initiate a green municipal building program
- Assess the opportunity for citing "as of right" renewable energy facilities
- Provide the Town Administrator with a draft report of these assessments
Since 2007 Easton has participated in the EPA's Community Energy Challenge by:
- Collecting and monitoring municipal building energy usage
- Generating Energy Star Ratings for Town buildings
Energy efficiency improvements to Town buildings continue to be made including:
- Replacing light fixtures and bulbs with more efficient alternatives
- Installing high efficiency boilers
- Installing sensors on light fixtures
- Reusing our waste oil with a waste oil heater
Developing and adopting good practices to reduce energy usage:
- Since Fall of 2008 Easton's Information Systems manager:
- set office computers to automatically switch to sleep mode
- virtualized servers
- Making small everyday actions that make a difference
- Distributing information and increasing energy efficiency awareness
Easton works to decrease our carbon footprint and reduce waste by:
- Increasing recycling at the Town Offices and Schools
- Encouraging digital documents instead of paper printouts
- Making available single stream recycling to Easton residents